Monday, January 7, 2013

Miss Me?

Well, hello and welcome to 2013!  I realize that I am a little behind in wishing everyone a Happy New Year, but I don't regret my week of leisure at all.  In full disclosure, my little family's hygiene habits have suffered over the extended break from reality, but that's par for the course, right?!?

Anywho, we are back at it and ready to tackle the new year!  Our first item of business to discuss... organization!  (I can see my sister's eyes rolling right now.)  It's been suggested before that I enjoy orderliness.  To be fair, my mind really cannot function with clutter.  This week, I have some great projects to share with you, but today's post is all about the ground rules.

#1. Chunk it!  I'm serious... if you haven't seen it in months or you just realized you still had it than why are you still holding on to it?  Get rid of it.  Organization is as much about de-clutter as it is about sorting everything into an appropriate spot.

    
I've never gone as far as setting up a sorting station (mainly b/c I purge on a weekly basis), but I think it could work wonders for a lot of people.

#2. Sort!  Your system doesn't have to make sense to anyone else, but you.  However, there should be a system.  Maybe your junk drawer needs to be revamped.  Add a couple of small containers for pens & scissors.  Or create a little folder for gift cards and coupons.  The point is give everything you need a home.


#3. Beautify! Being organized doesn't mean storage totes & label makers OR that nothing is ever allowed to move.  Find a cute basket for those magazines or kid toys.  Or put all those saved ticket stubs into a clear vase.  Everyone has stuff.  It is just a matter of displaying it nicely.

  
#4.  Work it!  I'm not gonna lie.  It takes a little bit of work to be organized, but not nearly as much work as a massive overhaul once or twice a year.  I recommend once a day (or if you really can't fathom it try once a week) to make a sweep of the house and put things back in their home.  You will quickly find that it's not that big of a time commitment and the rewards are well worth it.


All right, so those are my rules... so get crackin'!

Cheers,
Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment