Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Big Plans, Big Fail

So Hootie has been gone all week and I had big plans for another secret project, but after further research and a serious lack of motivation the project has been scraped indefinitely. What was this awesome project you ask?

Restaining grout.

I know. It sounds riveting, right?!? The main bathrooms in our house were originally tiled with sheets of hexagonal white tile. I love the look and recommend it (especially for older homes where you want something a little more authentic looking), BUT... white grout is a b*#@$!

With general wear and tear and thoughts of potty training a boy, it is only gonna get worse from here. In fact, we asked our floor guys during the wood debacle for an estimate on how much to restain the grout. I should have known it was a bad idea from the fact that they wouldn't even give us an estimate.

The problem is TIME.  It doesn't cost much and honestly the bathrooms are not big, but the process can take forever. Did you see how many grout lines are in that tile?!? You have to go over every grout line with cleaner then two coats of stain and then a coat of sealer. I am always down for detail work, but this sounds like a bloody nightmare.

However, I still can't get the look of a smokey gray grout out of my head. I'm sure I am romanticizing it a bit, but I really do feel like it would solve a lot of our issues. What do you think? Has anyone ever tried it before? Yeah or nah? Perhaps a two man job?

Cheers,
Jessie

PS- Before you suggest cleaning the grout that has been done both personally (thanks for nothing, Pinterest) and professionally (thanks for nothing, sir).  

No comments:

Post a Comment