Wednesday, February 6, 2013

I Can Do That!

So after my little rant last week on custom framing, I thought... how hard can it be?!?  I then decided to undertake a little framing DIY.

I bought this abstract painting after Christmas.  It is on canvas board so I needed someway to hang it.
After looking around a bit, I decided that a floater frame was the best option.  Typically, the frame allows for a 1/4" gap on all sides of the painting for a modern 3D effect.

Seeing as I had just used up my custom framing budget for the month, I went the crafty route.  I was perusing Urban Outfitters home section randomly and came across their record album frames.  
I thought the look was perfect!  The painting just needed to be mounted inside.  Hence begins my DIY skills... 

I bought a piece of black foam core and cut it into 2 pieces slightly smaller than the painting.  I superglued them together for extra strength.
Then I affixed the foam board to the painting & frame with poster strips since I didn't want them permanently attached.  (Just in case I decide to change my mind.)  
When all was said and done, I was left with this... 

I have to say that I am fairly pleased with the results especially when you consider that the total project came in around $25 dollars.  Not too shabby!

Cheers,
Jessie

PS - Just to keep the suspense going, here's another element of my surprise project!

No comments:

Post a Comment