Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Writing On The Wall

As promised, I'd like to give you a little further insight into our new and improved laundry room door...
Seeing as I like to take projects to the extreme, I decided since we already had one chalkboard door outside that we should bring the party inside and add magnets!  The monster loves our outdoor chalkboard, but I can't always send him out there on a whim (as much as I may want to sometimes).

I debated the location of such a door for the while.  I was concerned it wouldn't live up to my hopes and dreams in the kitchen.  Filled with Pinterest images of gourmet menus and inspirational quotes... 


Let's be fair, we're really not that kind of a family.  Ours would be more like to have a dirty joke and crude stick figures.  With that in mind, the laundry room door became the first choice.

#1.  It is out of the way so our crassness could easily be concealed.
#2.  It is still in a central part of the house.

The actual project is not hard at all.  Go buy a can of magnetic paint and a can of chalkboard paint and get rolling!
You need to apply the magnetic paint first, but you can paint any color on top of it.  My only suggestion would be to do no more than 2 coats.  Otherwise, you weaken the magnetic field.  (Do I sound smart?) After that, you just need to let the paint rest for about a day and then play away.  

My only problem has been that not all magnets stick to the door, but the majority have been fine.... which is one reason I still have a few DIY projects in the works.  Trial and error, my friends.  Regardless, you can tell that the monster is already loving his new canvas and I'm quite happy with the results!

Cheers,
Jessie

2 comments:

  1. ummm....is that the picture of us in our bikinis on that door??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why, yes it is! Very observant, Reyna!

    ReplyDelete