Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Measure Twice, Cut... Twice

As is par for the course, the renovations began late last week with a little drama.  It has been mentioned a time or two before that I am SUPER excited about adding built-ins in the master bedroom.  My dream finally came true last Thursday.

If you follow me on Twitter than you realize that I had four strange men in my bedroom for the majority of that afternoon.  I have to say I was really impressed with how quickly they were installed.  I floated around the house the rest of the afternoon peeking in from time to time to make sure I still loved them just as much.  That is until Hootie came home and said "Let's move the bed back in place"... the love fest ended there.
The bed didn't fit!  What the what?!? I had personally measured the mattress and the carpenter had measured as well.  How was this even possible...

1) I didn't ask for an updated sketch once the carpenter measured.
2) He and I were talking about different things... I was basing measurements off the bed's width.  He was working off the windowsill width.  :(

Needless to say, I wasn't in the cheeriest of moods that evening, but thanks to some quick thinking from everyone but me... a solution was proposed.  The cabinetry was obviously trimmed out so there was a small gap on either side that could be pushed out to give us ONE whole extra inch and that's all we needed!

Friday rolled around and the no longer strange men (but now slightly disgruntled) disassembled the whole thing, shaved off a little on the edges and put it all back in place!
I am thrilled with the results.  Currently, paint is still drying, hardware is up in the air and sconces have just been ordered.  It's definitely not going as smoothly as anticipated, but we're getting there and so far I LOVE it!

Cheers,
Jessie

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Grant! They're getting there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this being done before/after the new flooring?
    Meemaw

    ReplyDelete