Thursday, November 15, 2012

Confessions of a Stripper

Don't worry, Hootie and my mom both know and they're okay with it.  Before you get too concerned, please remember that we are talking about paint, people.  I seriously don't know where your minds are at most of the time.  Anywho, let's start at the beginning....

Remember when I painted that really awesome accent door in a beautiful peacock blue.
  Well, it doesn't quite look like that anymore and here's why...
  1. It didn't feel right.  I'm not talking feelings.  I'm talking texture.  The paint seemed to have a gritty texture and not a smooth finish like you normally find on your trim or doors.
  2. I was concerned about the durability.  When I removed the painter's tape from the door handle and hinges, the surrounding paint peeled right off.  
  3. The color was a little splotchy despite 3 coats.  
With all of those issues, I decided to ask the experts at Home Depot where I went wrong.  The general consensus was that I should have used an oil-based paint instead of a high sheen latex.  There was also some concern that the paint & primer-in-one was causing the gritty issue.  

The simple solution was to strip the door and repaint with the oil-based paint.  I was actually a little excited.  I'd never stripped before (or at least not that I will claim on here).  Anywho, I gathered my supplies and set off.
I do highly recommend gloves & a mask for this process.  I also wore some chandelier earrings, but I don't think those were necessary.  Basically, you slap up the stripper.  (Poor choice of words, I know.) Let it sit for about 15 minutes and get this... 
The paint begins to bubble up and peel off.  All that's left to do is scrape it off... which is where things took a turn for the worse.  This is where we are at today...
I want to keep things real on the blog so I'm being honest when I say I feel stupid.  :(  The problem is it was an old door to begin with so various layers of paint were being stripped away, but not consistently. I tried sanding everything down, but it just wasn't doing the job.  We officially declared the door dead last Wednesday evening at approximately 8pm.  A moment of silence, please.

The good news is a new door has been ordered and interior doors are not terribly expensive.  The bad news is my $10 project has now turned into a $100 project.  Hopefully, I've been able to save at least one door from the terrible fate that befell mine last week.  Either way, I should have a shiny, smooth, NEW blue door hung next week!  Something to truly be thankful for!

Cheers,
Jessie  
  

1 comment: