Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Monster Mania

Well, I believe I promised the start of a home tour last week and I hate to disappoint.  A few things to note before we start:
  1. I have a flair for the dramatic.  (That's assuming that you haven't already noticed.)
  2. I believe that things should always be a little off... rooms, clothes, life, etc.
  3. When planning this room, we didn't know the little monster would be all boy.
So let's begin in the monster's den...
First off, the stripes!  I know they are a bold statement, but that is what I wanted.... a graphic statement without being babyish.  I wanted something that could grow with them and still feel relevant.  Whether you love it or hate it, they are certainly a talking point and that I LOVE.

The bookcases were custom made and painted in a chartreuse green to coordinate with the bedding. They offer tons of storage and continue to be put to good use.  So far we haven't had any climbing related accidents.  (Fingers crossed.)  

For artwork, I wanted something personal without being cheesy.  The one on the left is devoted to Hootie and his favorite Mister Rogers t-shirt and book growing up.  Thanks to my MIL - she has every trinket of his childhood and youth!  The one on the right is mine.  Let me introduce you to Mr. Rabbit.  I realize he is pink and owned by a girl, but his name in Mister Rabbit and he was my BFF for the better part of a decade.  I couldn't think of anything better for the monster's room than our fond memories of childhood.

I opted out of the changing table and went with a custom dresser that would work well moving forward. (Hootie... do you see how thrifty I am?!?)  We did a mini wall gallery above with his initial and a few mementos.
And lastly, what baby room isn't complete without a reading nook?  The wall shelves are actually magazine racks from CB2 and I swear the Martini table from West Elm is the best side table ever invented.  Try it for yourself.

I guess you could say we were only missing one thing... a monster.  Love that little head!
Cheers,
Jessie

1 comment: